Chemical Splash to the Eyes In Spite of Goggles

An undergraduate student was working on an experiment in a hood.   When she removed the reflux condenser, the solution bumped, splashing her face and chest. In spite of the fact that the student was wearing goggles, the solution managed to go past the seal and into her eyes. The teaching assistant got her to a safety shower and began flushing when he evacuated the lab and got assistance from another instructor (and had someone call 911). The teaching assistant assisted in removing the contaminated clothing. The student was taken to the Emergency room and later was evaluated by her own physician and optometrist to show no permanent damage.

What Can be Done to Prevent this from Occurring Again?

Fume hood sashes need to be as far down as possible while the student is working. The sashes should be in the "up" position only when setting up an experiment or when tearing it down. The sash acts as a primary barrier against splashes and explosions. Teaching Assistants and Lab Supervisors should  remind their students and other lab personnel  to pull the sash down when working.

Sash breaks that prevent the sash from being  accidentally raised more than the desired height are recommended.