Mercury Build-up in a Warm Room

Last year, a  technician at the University of X reported that she had knocked over a mercury thermometer in a warm room. Within one half hour all of the mercury had evaporated and the mercury concentration in the room was more than 5 times the level that OSHA allows workers to be exposed to. Mercury is not particularly hazardous if ingested but may cause heavy metal poisoning and sub-clinical symptoms if inhaled. A wide range of non mercury thermometers are available. 

Contact the Health and Safety Office if you need assistance.