To provide a forum on the practice of industrial hygiene and safety in the laboratory and associated research and support service settings and to participate in the development and analysis of related technological and regulatory issues.
Assemble, evaluate and disseminate to professional industrial hygienists and occupational and environmental health professionals information relevant to academic campuses, research and/or development centers, and medical and diagnostic facilities, collectively referred to as laboratories.
Develop and provide information resources to aid in prevention, identification and control of potential exposures to chemical, biological, ergonomic, ionizing and nonionizing radiation, and physical hazards in laboratories.
- Provide guidance for new entrants into the laboratory industrial hygiene setting.
- Prepare and present relevant information for publication or presentation at professional development courses.
- Provide for a gathering of laboratory industrial hygienists at the AIHCE to exchange information.
- Solicit papers; organize sessions; and provide session arrangers, chairs, and monitors for the AIHCE.
Identify, evaluate and comment on proposed legislation, regulations, standards and prudent industrial hygiene practices affecting laboratories.
- Designate specific members to track and report on identified issues.
- Communicate with other AIHA committees that may be involved in projects related to laboratory health and safety issues.
- Respond to AIHA Board requests to address specific issues.
Identify and establish liaisons with other AIHA committees and other professional organizations addressing industrial hygiene-related issues in laboratories.
- Prudent Practices in the Laboratory, Handling and Management of Chemical Hazards, National Research Council (2011).
- Safety in Academic Chemistry Laboratories: Volume 1, Accident Prevention for College and University Students, American Chemical Society (2003).
- Safety in Academic Chemistry Laboratories: Volume 2, Accident Prevention for Facility and Administrators, American Chemical Society (2003).
- Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories (BMBL), 5th edition, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2009).
- OSHA Health and Safety Topics: Laboratories
- ANSI: Laboratory Safety Standards
- Stanford Environmental Health and Safety
- Laboratory Health and Safety Handbook, Work Safe BC
- US Department of Health and Human Services, Environmental Health and Toxicology, Laboratory Safety
Lab Health & Safety Organizations
Lab Incident Websites