To provide effective leadership in the field of Real Time Detection Systems by maintaining knowledge of past and present tools and methods related to the field. Our members actively share their expertise with each other and industry stakeholders, driving improved technology, to provide workers and the public with the best possible protection.
Goals / Projects
- Promote Excellence - Provide up-to-date technical resources related to gas and vapor detection systems.
- Primary Member Resource - Provide Professional Development Courses (PDCs), technical sessions, publications, website and workshops related to real-time detection systems (RTDS).
- Consensus Builders - Develop joint poster sessions with other AIHA committees such as Sampling & Lab Analysis Committee, roundtable sessions with Occupational Epidemiology and Exposure Assessment & Strategies Committee
- (EASC); and technical workshops with EASC.
- Public Policy Advocacy - Provide input and support to AIHA position statements.
- Sound Data for Sound Decisions - Develop and update publications, PDCs and projects with the Policy, Standards & Guidelines Committee; Disseminate technical GVDS information to Environmental Health and Safety professionals.
- Book Development on Real-Time Detection Instrumentation and Methods: Important Instrumentation and Methods for Field Detection.
- Equipment specification sheet standardization - develop a market driven standardized spec sheet for real-time equipment.
- The Real-Time Detection Registry: 4-Gas Meter/PID Operators recognizes individuals who have the minimum education, training and experience of a competent 4-Gas Meter and PID operator and who regularly demonstrate their competency in the use of the instrument and application of the meter's readings. For further information on this registry, see the AIHA Registry Program webpage: http://www.aiharegistries.org/programs/4GasPIDReg/Pages/default2.aspx
Real Time Detection Systems Documents
Standardized Equipment Specification Sheet Program
The Standardized Equipment Specification Sheet (SESS) program is designed to be a common language with which the manufacturer and end user can effectively communicate, thereby allowing the end user to better understand the capabilities and limitations of the instruments.
This manual describes the programmatic approach to developing an AIHA Standardized Equipment Specification Sheet. It describes the definitions for the specifications to be included, the methods for determining the specification parameters (when available), and a template for the specification sheet.
The SESS was developed by a consensus-based subcommittee of the American Industrial Hygiene Association’s Real-time Detection Systems Committee. The subcommittee included stakeholders representing equipment manufacturers, military, government, academia, emergency response, and commercial end users.
- SESS Manual - V2.0 / Manual for Reporting Specifications for Electronic Real Time Gas and Vapor Detection Equipment
- SESS Instrument - V2.0 / Instrument Sheet Template for the Standardized Equipment Specification Sheet Program
- SESS Sensor - V2.0 / Sensor Sheet Template for the Standardized Equipment Specification Sheet Program
Student Poster Winner
(Click on the image for a PDF)