Standards and Analytical Methods
These methods are current as of the day of the posting of this page. For a current list of available methods go to the website listed.
American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) located at http://www.astm.org/. The Nanotechnology Standards page is located at http://www.astm.org/Standards/nanotechnology-standards.html .
- E 2456-06 Terminology for Nanotechnology (free with registration)
- E2535-07 Standard Guide for Handling Unbound Engineered Nanoscale Particles in Occupational Settings
- E2578-07 Standard Practice for Calculation of Mean Sizes/Diameters and Standard Deviations of Particle Size Distributions
- E2524-08 Standard Test Method for Analysis of Hemolytic Properties of Nanoparticles
- E2525-08 Standard Test Method for Evaluation of the Effect of Nanoparticulate Materials on the Formation of Mouse Granulocyte-Macrophage Colonies
- E2526-08 Standard Test Method for Evaluation of Cytotoxicity of Nanoparticulate Materials in Porcine Kidney Cells and Human Hepatocarcinoma Cells
- E2490-09 Measurement of particle size distribution of nanomaterials in suspension by Photon Correlation Spectroscopy (PCS)
Standards Under Development
- WK8997 Standard Practice for Analysis of Hemolytic Properties of Nanoparticles
- WK9326 Standard Practice for Evaluation of the Effect of Nanoparticulate Materials on the Formation of Mouse Granulocyte-Macrophage Colonies
- WK9327 Standard Practice for Evaluation of Cytotoxicity of Nanoparticulate Materials on Porcine Kidney Cells
- WK9952 Standard Practice for Measuring Length and Thickness of Carbon Nanotubes Using Atomic Force Microscopy Methods
- WK10417 Standard Practice for the Preparation of Nanomaterial Samples for Characterization
- WK21915 Zeta Potential Measurement by Electrophoretic Mobility
- PAS 71:2005 Vocabulary — Nanoparticles
- PAS 130:2007 Guidance on the labeling of manufactured nanoparticles and products containing manufactured nanoparticles
- PAS 131:2007 Terminology for medical, health and personal care applications of nanotechnology
- PD 6699-1:2007 Nanotechnologies – Part 1: Good practice guide for specifying manufactured nanomaterials
- PD 6699-2:2007 Nanotechnologies – Part 2: Guide to safe handling and disposal of manufactured nanomaterials
- IEEE 1650TM-2005, Standard Test Methods for Measurement of Electrical Properties of Carbon Nanotubes
Standards Under Development
- P1690TM, Standard Methods for the Characterization of Carbon Nanotubes Used as Additives in Bulk Materials
International Organization for Standardization (ISO) located at http://www.iso.org/iso/home.htm
- ISO/TS 27687:2008: Nanotechnologies – Terminology and definitions for nano-objects – nanoparticle, nanofibre, and nanoplate
- ISO/TR 12885:2008: Nanotechnologies — Health and safety practices in occupational settings relevant to nanotechnologies
- ISO/TR 27628:2007 : Workplace atmospheres -- Ultrafine, nanoparticle and nano-structured aerosols -- Inhalation exposure characterization and assessment
Standards Under Development
- ISO/AWI TS 10797: Nanotubes — Use of transmission electron microscopy (TEM) in walled carbon nanotubes (SWCNTs)
- ISO/AWI TS 10798: Nanotubes — Scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and energy dispersive X-ray analysis (EDXA) in the charaterization of single walled carbon nanotubes (SWCNTs)
- ISO/CD 10801: Nanotechnologies — Generation of nanoparticles for inhalation toxicity testing
- ISO/CD 10808: Nanotechnologies — Monitoring nanoparticles in inhalation exposure chambers for inhalation toxicity testing
- ISO/NP TS 10812: Nanotechnologies — Use of Raman spectroscopy in the characterization of single-walled carbon nanotubes (SWCNTs)
- ISO/NP TS 10867: Nanotubes — Use of NIR-Photoluminescence (NIR-PL) Spectroscopy in the characterization of single-walled carbon nanotubes (SWCNTs)
- ISO/NP TS 10868: Nanotubes — Use of UV-Vis-NIR absorption spectroscopy in the characterization of single-walled carbon nanotubes (SWCNTs)
- ISO/AWI TS 10929: Measurement methods for the characterization of multi-walled carbon nanotubes (MWCNTs)
- ISO/AWI TS 11251: Nanotechnologies — Use of evolved gas analysis-gas chromatograph mass spectrometry (EGA-GCMS) in the characterization of single-walled carbon nanotubes (SWCNTs)
- ISO/AWI TS 11308: Nanotechnologies — Use of thermo gravimetric analysis (TGA) in the purity evaluation of single-walled carbon nanotubes (SWCNT)
- ISO/AWI TS 11751: Terminology and definitions for carbon nanomaterials
- ISO/AWI TR 11808: Nanotechnologies — Guidance on nanoparticle measurement methods and their limitations
- ISO/AWI TR 11811: Nanotechnologies — Guidance on methods for nanotribology measurements
- ISO/NP TS 11888: Determination of mesoscopic shape factors of multiwalled carbon nanotubes (MWCNTs)
- ISO/NP 11931-1: Nanotechnologies — Nano-calcium carbonate — Part 1: Characteristics and measurement methods
- ISO/NP 11937-1: Nanotechnologies — Nano-titanium dioxide — Part 1: Characteristics and measurement methods
- ISO/NP 12025: Nanomaterials — General framework for determining nanoparticle content in nanomaterials by generation of aerosols
- ISO/NP TS 12144: Nanotechnologies — Core terms — Terminology and definitions
- ISO/NP TS 12805: Nanomaterials — Guidance on specifying nanomaterials
- ISO/NP TS 12808: Nanotechnology — Terminology for the bio-nano interface
- ISO/NP TS 12843: Nanotechnologies — Terminology for medical, health and personal care applications
- ISO/NP TS 12901: Nanotechnologies — Guidance on safe handling and disposal of manufactured nanomaterials
- ISO/NP TS 12921: Nanotechnologies — Terminology and definitions for nanostructured materials
- ISO/NP 13013: Nanotechnologies — Terminology for nanoscale measurement and instrumentation
- ISO/CD 29701: Nanotechnologies — Endotoxin test on nanomaterial samples for in vitro systems
Standards and Reference Materials
Nanotech Regulatory Document Archive is located at http://nanotech.law.asu.edu/
. This archive is searchable by country. This archive consists of research results, guidance for safe handling of nanomaterials and regulatory actions.
General Information on Nanotechnology Safety and Health
- Army Industrial Hygiene, U.S. Army Public Health Command (Provisional) web site on Engineered Nanomaterials http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/ih/eval-of-hazards/engineerednano/nano.aspx
- Development of Exposure Scenarios for Manufactured Nanomaterials (NANEX) projects and links to related European nanotechnology projects can be found at http://nanex-project.eu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=59
- FramingNano: an international multi-stakeholder dialogue platform to regulate the development of nanosciences and nanotechnologies, including developments in regulation and governance of nanoscience and nanotechnologies in Europe and worldwide and can be found at http://www.framingnano.eu/ .
- GoodNano Guide provides information on sampling, analysis, personal protective equipment, safety procedures, and basic information on nanotechnology at http://www.goodnanoguide.org/tiki-index.php?page=HomePage .
- International Council on Nanotechnology (ICON) nanotechnology EHS http://icon.rice.edu and the database of papers on the subject is at the Virtual Journal of Nanotechnology Environment, Health and Safety at http://icon.rice.edu/virtualjournal.cfm
- National Cancer Institute Wiki is located at http://sites.google.com/site/cabignanowg/ . The NanoParticle Ontology is located at http://npo.wustl.edu/ which is a controlled terminology (ontology) that is being developed for nanotechnology applications.
- National Nanotechnology Initiative (NNI) is a collaboration of many United States of America federal agencies found at http://www.nano.gov. A list of participating agencies can be found at http://www.nano.gov/html/about/nniparticipants.html. From this link there are links to those federal agency websites where the latest developments from those agencies can be found. There are also links to the meetings of the NNI and the presentations from those meetings.
- NIOSH methods development plans can be found at http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/nanotech/strat_planAPPXg.html
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) has guidance documents and reports of results from the working groups at their website located at http://www.oecd.org/home/0,2987,en_2649_201185_1_1_1_1_1,00.html .
- UK Safenano website found at http://www.safenano.org/ . Provides information on safety procedures, research, and toxicology.
- UK Institute of Nanotechnology website is located at http://www.nano.org.uk/
- US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) nanotechnology website is located at http://www.epa.gov/nanoscience/basicinfo.htm. The nanotechnology research under the Toxic Substances Control Act is located at http://www.epa.gov/oppt/nano/
- US Center for Disease Control National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) nanotechnology website is at http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/nanotech/ .
- US National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) nanotechnology website is located at http://www.nist.gov/public_affairs/nanotech.htm.
- US Food and Drug Administration nanotechnology website is located at http://www.fda.gov/ScienceResearch/SpecialTopics/Nanotechnology/default.htm.
- US Department of Labor Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) nanotechnology website is located at http://www.osha.gov/dsg/nanotechnology/nanotechnology.html.
- US Department of energy Office of Science Nanotechnology website is located at http://www.science.doe.gov/nano/.
- US National Science Foundation nanotechnology website is located at http://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/nano/.
- US National Aeronautics and Space Administration nanotechnology website is located at http://www.ipt.arc.nasa.gov/.
- US National Institutes of Health nanotechnology website is located at http://www.nibib.nih.gov/Research/NIHNano.