Purpose and Objectives
In February 2018, the AIHA entered into a Memorandum of Agreement with NIOSH to advance the goals of NIOSH’s Total Worker Health (TWH) program. TWH promotes a holistic approach to work well-being -- protecting workers from work-related safety and health hazards integrated with promotion of injury and illness prevention efforts. AIHA is now a NIOSH TWH Affiliate and has agreed to engage in a variety of collaborative activities, including research; research translation; and the development and promotion of appropriate programs, policies, and practices, through sponsorship of training, education forums, and other outreach initiatives.
Under this Memorandum, AIHA has agreed to:
- Advance the principles, policies, and practices of the NIOSH Office for Total Worker Health.
- Participate in activities in support of the NIOSH Office for Total Worker Health, such as:
- Conducting joint research
- Developing programs, interventions, and other work-products
- Collaborating on seminars, meetings, trainings, and educational events
- Creating and disseminating publications and other communication products
- Cross-promote individual and joint activities
- Meet with NIOSH at least annually to review responsibilities, current activities, and progress.
To better represent the IH/OH profession, AIHA is forming a task force which will focus on:
- Exploring existing assets that have been prepared by NIOSH and their six Centers of Workplace Health to see what AIHA can leverage for the IH profession
- Ensuring at least one AIHA representative attends every future TWH affiliate meeting and call
- Being the primary point of contact with other affiliates and NIOSH’s TWH Centers to explore collaboration
- Developing a strategic plan for what products or services AIHA might develop to benefit of its members and the IH/OH professional community
- Developing vision and initiatives related to the industrial hygienist’s role in TWH, including forwarding the topic of Total Exposure Health within the industrial hygiene profession and TWH initiative
- Liaising with AIHA’s Content Portfolio Advisory Group (CPAG) to ensure the content priority “Total Worker Exposure” is aligned with AIHA’s TWH efforts
TWH Task Force Composition
The TWH Task Force will be comprised of up to five (5) AIHA members representing a cross-section of the membership. Each member is expected to commit to a three-year term. The AIHA President will select the Chair from among the task force members—the Chair will serve a two-year term. The Vice Chair is selected by the AIHA President from among task force members entering his/her second year of service, with the rotation to Chair occurring in his/her third year of service. Terms commence and end at AIHce. An AIHA Board Liaison will also be appointed to the task force by the AIHA President.
Eligibility and Selection
Applicants must be current members of AIHA and will be selected to provide a balanced representation of the IH/OH professional community. Applications will be reviewed and selection made by the AIHA Board.
Responsibilities and Accountability
- Conduct activities in accordance with relevant AIHA policies, procedures, and priorities and agree to uphold and abide by the AIHA Bylaws, Conflict of Interest Policy and Code of Conduct.
- Periodically review the AIHA strategic plan to determine whether the task force is effectively supporting AIHA’s mission
- Provide documentation from all stages of implementation of the strategy
- Participate in:
- Regularly scheduled conference calls (initially monthly, then quarterly, 1 to 1.5 hrs. each)
- One in-person meeting annually (anticipated to be held at AIHce)
- Email discussions as needed
- Be accountable to the AIHA Board of Directors
Applications will be accepted until 5 PM ET on September 30, 2019 and are to be submitted via the following online application form.
Note:* = a required field.