In our efforts to be representative of our membership population, we seek to build diverse and inclusive volunteer groups. We believe when people bring their unique identities, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences to our work, we can better achieve our goal of protecting worker health.
As a result, the AIHA Board unanimously approved the formation of a new PR(IH)DE Special Interest Group (SIG) at its July 2022 meeting.
Diversity and Inclusion
AIHA fosters diversity and inclusion of all people within our membership and adheres to a diversity policy built around respect for individuals regardless of where they are on life's journey. AIHA prohibits discrimination based on age, citizenship, color, cultural background, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity/expression, race, religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, or veteran status. Furthermore, AIHA prohibits all harassment and threatening behavior that detracts from the learning experience which is central to AIHA’s mission.
Please familiarize yourself with the AIHA Diversity and Inclusion Policy.
To support and promote the professional growth and development of those in the fields of industrial hygiene (IH) and occupational and environmental health and safety (OEHS) who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, and all other sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as their allies/supporters, through networking, mentorship, and research. Membership is open to all who strive to incorporate diversity, equity, and inclusion in the IH and OEHS professions and their associated practices.
Purpose and Objectives
To foster a visible and inclusive environment that promotes the health, safety, and well-being of its members, allowing for open and supportive dialogue and opportunities for collaboration.
- Provide mentorship and support for LGBTQ+ professionals at all stages of their education and career.
- Advocate for the advancement of research related to the health, safety, and well-being of LGBTQ+ individuals in the workplace, with an emphasis on improving and safeguarding their psychological health and safety.
- Engage with other established AIHA committees and working groups to develop strategic partnerships to further key initiatives and objectives.
- Establish outreach to other allied organizations whose thought leadership might benefit this group.
There is no limit on the size of this SIG. A chair, vice chair, and secretary will be selected to serve as the leadership of the group, with officer rotations to commence at the close of AIHce. At that time, the chair will serve as the past chair, vice chair to chair, secretary to vice chair, etc. The secretary position is an elected position and will be implemented during the second year of this working group. While not required, the selection of a secretary-elect will ensure a smooth transition.
Participation is limited to AIHA members in good standing. We envision input from other volunteer groups whose interests align with the areas of concern noted above, as well as allied associations.
- The AIHA President will select the officers initially based on expressed interest from working group members via the online application form.
- Secretary nominations will commence in 2024.
- Attend in-person meetings as identified and agreed to by the members (typically one held during AIHce), as well as participate in periodic conference calls throughout the year.
- Conduct activities in accordance with relevant AIHA policies, procedures, and priorities.
General Time Commitment
- Monthly conference calls (1 hour in length)
- One in-person meeting (AIHce)
- Email correspondence as needed
- Accountable to the AIHA Board of Directors
- Agree to uphold and abide by the AIHA Bylaws, Conflict of Interest, Code of Conduct, and Volunteer Group policies, all of which can be found via the Volunteer Group Handbook.
If you are interested in joining the AIHA PR(IH)DE Special Interest Group, please click here and complete the submission form.
If you have questions, please contact Laurie M. Mutdosch, CAE, AIHA's Director of Membership & Professional Communities.