Roles and Responsibilities
The AIHA Finance Committee (FC) plays an influential role within the Association by providing the Board of Directors with oversight to help it fulfill its fiduciary obligations. The FC’s responsibilities include:
- To review drafts of the annual operating, capital, and Investment Return Above Target (IRAT) budgets to ensure that they are fiscally sound and reflect AIHA’s strategy and Board policies, and to approve the draft budgets for presentation to the Board with or without amendments.
- To monitor the fiscal performance of AIHA against its current budget.
- To review audited financial statements with AIHA staff and independent certified public accountants and accept the audited financial statements.
- To recommend to the Board, amendments to AIHA’s investment policies and guidelines, and oversee investment performance.
- To review and recommend financial policies, ensuring adequate internal controls and use of standard accounting practices.
- To review other Association fiscal matters with the Board as needed.
The FC’s advice and oversight keep the Board current on Association financial matters, ensuring that AIHA management cultivates the necessary financial resources to support the Association’s mission.
Composition of the FC:
- AIHA treasurer, also serving as committee chair.
- AIHA president-elect.
- AIHA vice-president.
- AIHA treasurer-elect, serving only every other year.
- Two AIHA directors.
- Three other AIHA Full, Early Career, or Emeritus members, serving in staggered three-year terms.
Qualifications for FC nomination:
- Must be an AIHA member in good standing with at least three years of AIHA volunteer experience.
- Must have relevant and demonstrable knowledge of financial affairs due to education, job qualifications, or other volunteer experience.
- Have a proven ability to think strategically and long-term.
- Have demonstrated passion for the occupational health and safety profession.
- Must be able to take a holistic view of AIHA’s operations while representing the Association’s best interests.
- Must be able to listen actively, communicate effectively, share information equally, and treat people professionally.
- Have a clear sense of AIHA’s mission and purpose.
Expectations of FC members:
- Must be prepared for a three-year commitment.
- Must attend a face-to-face orientation at AIHA headquarters with the other new AIHA Board members, which will last 1-1½ days and occur in late April or early May of their first year as FC member, before their term starts.
- Must attend a 2-hour face-to-face meeting at AIHce.
- Must attend a face-to-face working meeting at AIHA headquarters, occurring over a 1.5 to 2-day period every October, to review the draft annual budget.
- Must attend two conference calls in April and December of each year of service.
- Must be available for interim conference calls as needed.
AIHA will cover travel expenses for face-to-face meetings at the Association’s headquarters. However, AIHA will not cover travel expenses to the AIHce meeting.
Please submit your completed application and CV by January 31, 2021. We anticipate notifying applicants of selection by the beginning of March 2021. If you have any questions, please contact Belinda D'Agostino, CFO, or call (703) 846-0721.