Purpose and Objectives
Scientific evidence for warming of the climate system is unequivocal (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change). Factors that directly impact the occupational and environmental health and safety (OEHS) profession, as well as product stewardship, reflect changing weather patterns, such as a warming climate (i.e., increased likelihood of heat stress) and its impact on natural disasters (i.e., increased number/intensity of wildfires, hurricanes, tornadoes) and global pandemics (e.g., COVID).
This task force is being established to serve as a strategic advisor to the AIHA Board in defining how we as an association and the OEHS and product stewardship professions should approach our role in the realm of climate change adaptation.
We envision input from multiple volunteer groups whose interests align with the areas of concern noted above, as well as allied associations (e.g., American Geophysical Union).
The purpose of this task force is to provide strategic direction which will help AIHA and the Product Stewardship Society:
- Demonstrate a lead role and communicate to our member's ways in which our profession can respond to the changing climate
- Educate and engage our members in critiquing systems and setting sustainability metrics for “green” products and materials from the lens of toxicity to worker health to prevent “regrettable substitutions”
- Inform members about our ability to prepare the profession for the challenges presented by an evolving climate.
The group is to be comprised of 8 to 10 members representing a broad diversity of member representation. One member of the task force will serve as chair. Taskforce members must be AIHA and/or Product Stewardship Society members.
Task Force Selection Process
The process of selecting new members begins with an open call for applications. Applications are reviewed, and selections made by the AIHA Board.
- Experience/familiarity in addressing climate change issues, including how they relate to OEHS or product stewardship.
General Time Commitment
- Monthly conference calls (1 hour in length) until the scope of work is completed
- Email correspondence as needed between calls
- Accountable to the AIHA Board of Directors
- Agree to uphold and abide by the AIHA Bylaws, Conflict of Interest, and Code of Conduct policies
Online applications will be accepted until 11:59 pm ET on June 30, 2021.