The American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA) is seeking three new members for the Standards Advisory Panel (SAP)!
Purpose and Objectives
The AIHA’s consensus standards activities are housed under the AIHA Guideline Foundation (AGF). The SAP purpose is to outline a consensus standards strategy that will allow AIHA to:
- Identify those consensus standards issues that are important to AIHA members and stakeholders
- Track those activities on consensus standards development that have an impact on the industrial hygiene profession and worker health and safety
- Determine and manage the appropriate level of AIHA involvement in any such consensus standard
Standards Advisory Panel Composition
The SAP is comprised of 9 members representing a cross-section of the AIHA membership. Each member serves a three-year term. Terms are staggered so that as members rotate off, they are replaced with new members.
SAP Member Selection Process
The process of selecting new SAP members begins with an open call for applications to the AIHA membership. Applications are reviewed, and the SAP chair makes selections with guidance from the Board Liaison and AIHA staff. Appointments are made to ensure that the committee maintains as broad a diversity of representation as is reasonably possible.
Committee members must be current and active members of AIHA and are selected to provide a balanced representation of:
- Industry sectors (corporate, academia, consulting, government)
- Early, mid and late-career professionals
- History of involvement in various AIHA volunteer groups
- Areas of professional practice and specialty
- SAP members are expected to attend in-person meetings as identified (typically held during AIHce) and participate in periodic conference calls throughout the year.
- Conduct activities per relevant AIHA policies, procedures, and priorities
- Actively participate in all meetings and calls to carry-out the R&R and the ongoing updating of a standards strategy that will allow AIHA to:
- Identify the consensus standards issues that are important to AIHA members and stakeholders;
- Track activities on standards development that have an impact on the industrial hygiene profession and worker health and safety; and
- Determine the appropriate level of AIHA involvement in any such standards.
- Provides updates to the AGF Board of Directors on health and safety standards that further the goals of the AIHA:
- Monitoring new national and international health and safety consensus standard activity and trends;
- Recommend new AIHA areas of standard engagement; and
- Reporting on current standard activities in which AIHA and its members are engaged.
- Periodically reviews the SAP strategies to determine whether SAP is effectively supporting AIHA’s mission.
- Accountable to the AGF Board of Directors
- Agrees to uphold and abide by AIHA bylaws and the Code of Conduct
General Time Commitment
- Attend an annual meeting at AIHce (if conducted in-person)
- Actively participate in 1-hr bi-monthly conference calls
- Review and evaluate the relevance of consensus standards that impact the IH/OEHS profession and determine the level of AIHA involvement in such standard(s) (average of 5 consensus standard requests per year).
- As necessary, hold ad-hoc conference calls (crucial to encouraging and coordinating activities of members representing AIHA on a standard developing committee)
You can send in your self-nomination for membership or nominate a candidate you think is suitable for a role by completing the participant application form by Friday, March 12th, 2021.
Should you have any questions, please contact Stacy Calhoun.