Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless gas that is a combustion byproduct. CO is a chemical asphyxiant that interferes with the body’s ability to re-oxygenate blood and is a common, unfortunate cause of death for many home occupants each year. Homes and commercial structures that are fueled by a hydrocarbon such as natural gas, propane, or fuel oil will generate CO during combustion. This is especially true during peak, seasonal heating demand, such as winter months, when homes may not exchange as much outdoor air. 

It is imperative that CO from fuel combustion processes such as generators, hot water heaters or furnaces is adequately vented outside the home. Physical damage to the home, such as following a tornado or earthquake, may damage or compromise home combustion venting apparatus. Inadequate venting or excessive or poorly mixed combustion may result in a CO build up in a home and significant risk to its occupants.

More information on carbon monoxide may be found at:    

​​​​