Reflecting on AIHA’s Achievements Throughout 2021
Amid widespread vaccination, the renewal of businesses and travel, amended rules for public gatherings, and the reopening of public schools, 2021 was a year in which the world struggled to return to normal while also coping with COVID-19.
With the year now coming to an end, let’s take the opportunity to reflect and look forward to the new year. This year, whether you achieved your goals, overcame difficulties, or celebrated success, your AIHA membership and support for the association have been invaluable to advance our vision of protecting the global safety and health of workers and their communities.
Here are some top AIHA achievements from 2021:
AIHA launched a new members-only mentoring platform that features a one-step enrollment process, algorithm-based matching for mentors and mentees, mobile accessibility, calendar syncing, an online chat, and video call capabilities.
With over 180 mentors and mentees enrolled, it’s never been easier to connect with another OEHS student or professional who can help nurture your professional development. The program is available to all AIHA members including e-international members. If you haven’t enrolled in 2021, consider adding mentor program participation to your 2022 to-do list!
Following a member survey, a task force representing several member demographics recommended adjustments to AIHA’s mission, vision, and core values, as well as the addition of a value proposition statement. The new strategic plan retains the previous plan’s focus areas: community, awareness, advancement and dissemination of knowledge, integrity of professional practice, and advocacy.
Recursos en Espanol
A comprehensive library of public resources that promote health and safety in the Spanish language is now accessible through the AIHA website. This collection of publications, infographics, guidance documents, and white papers is now available at no charge to Spanish-speaking AIHA members, partners, media, and members of the public.
"Offering these public resources in Spanish will not only help our members,” said Lawrence D. Sloan, CEO of AIHA. “It's also an opportunity to reach Spanish-speaking IH/OEHS professionals and communities and expand our circle of collaborators."
Through the establishment of various task forces, advisory groups, and initiatives, AIHA members are expanding the role of OEHS professionals and supporting the work they do.
- The Defining the Science Advisory Group, a collaboration between AIHA and ACGIH, was created to define, manage, and advocate for a national occupational and environmental health and safety (OEHS) research agenda.
- The Climate Adaptation Task Force was created to advise the AIHA Board of Directors on how AIHA and the OEHS profession should prepare for climate change.
- The Human Capital/ESG Task Force serves as a strategic advisor to the AIHA Board on how AIHA and the OEHS profession should approach ongoing dialogue related to the human capital/Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) space.
- The Fellows Grand Challenge program was developed for several professions and organizations. Grand Challenges are important, aspirational, and compelling initiatives geared toward solving critical needs around the world, with the expectation of achieving progress in solving those needs within five to 10 years. The challenges work toward defined, measurable outcomes that stem from interdisciplinary collaboration, innovation, and sustained, long-term commitment.
- The Technology Initiative Strategic Advisory Group was created with the mission of driving the development and implementation of reliable, effective, and user-oriented technologies and tools for OEHS applications.
With your help, we hope to achieve much more in 2022, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the new year! Those who renew their membership before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on December 31, 2021, will receive a brand-new free ebook in the Essentials collection, The Essentials of Pandemic Response. After the early renewal period, The Essentials of Pandemic Response will be available for $19.95 value for members and $29.95 for non-members.