The Ambassador Program is intended to:
- Support the development of a cooperative infrastructure of IH/OH professionals in other countries;
- Identify the need for IH/OH capacity building and work to assist the host country to achieve this objective. (International Strategy Framework document).
- Identify needed education, products and services within the international community that AIHA technical and professional development committees can develop and market;
- Promote the profession and the association’s products and services to the international community; and, secondarily,
- Recruit AIHA members.
Ambassador positions available in targeted regions: Mexico, Brazil, Puerto Rico
AIHA ambassadors shall be those AIHA members who meet the following criteria and who are subsequently approved for appointment:
Term of Service
AIHA Ambassadors terms of service are limited to four (4) years. Ambassadors can re-apply to serve additional terms, but their acceptance is not guaranteed. Ambassadors will also be given the opportunity to recommend potential successors to International Affairs Committee (IAC) officers at the end of their term. If no successor candidate is available at the end of an ambassador’s term, then the incumbent’s term shall be extended until a successor is named or the incumbent resigns. Past ambassadors will voluntarily remain IAC Committee members after their term ends to ensure continuity.
- Completed applications that reflect a candidate’s ability to meet the appointment criteria listed above will then be transmitted to the Chair of the IAC and the IAC Board Liaison for review.
- IAC officers will review and make recommendations to the AIHA President for final approval.
Once the appointee has completed the orientation program and has submitted an executed statement to that fact to the staff liaison, the appointee will receive a formal letter of appointment. This letter will serve as the individual’s primary credential of ambassadorial status.
Criteria for Full Appointment
- Agreement to be fully supportive of the AIHA strategic plan and the goals and objectives of the IAC during the pursuit of the ambassadorial responsibilities.
- Agreement to submit activity reports to the Chair of the IAC and the AIHA staff liaison in charge of coordinating international activity upon the completion of activity in the capacity of ambassador.
- Agreement to submit an annual report to the IAC officers in advance of the committee’s annual meeting, summarizing the capacity building activities undertaken during the previous year to promote the IH/OHS profession in the host country. This annual report may be included as a presentation at the annual IAC meeting at the request of the officers.
- Submission of a signed statement indicating that the orientation materials have been reviewed, is understood, and will be complied with.
Criteria for Conditional Appointment
- Be a member of AIHA in good standing.
- Travel to or reside in the host country as a part of his/her assignment.
- Have a significant network of OEHS contacts in the host country.
- Be willing to serve in the capacity of ambassador without the requirement of AIHA remuneration.
- Submit a complete and executed application as well as recent CV for participation in the Ambassador Program.
The AIHA President will notify the successful candidate of the candidate’s conditional appointment as the Association’s ambassador to a specific country.
The appointee will then be provided with program orientation materials, which will include an overview of the program, an overview of ambassador responsibilities and expectations, the AIHA strategic plan, the IAC and its strategic goals and objectives, applicable policies and procedures, AIHA products and services, and activity report format.
Congratulations to the current appointed ambassadors!
China - Laurence Svirchev
Colombia - Luis Guillermo Araque Munoz*
Ethiopia - Hailemichael Mulugeta*
France - Thomas Fuller
Ghana - Steven Gyan
India - Maharshi Mehta
Israel - Mark Katchen
Nepal - William Carter
Pakistan - Muhammad Akram
Mozambique - Custodio Muianga*
Vietnam - Tuan Nguyen
Switzerland- Samantha Connell
Newly appointed ambassadors*
Ambassador Program Application