Industrial Hygiene is both a science and an art devoted to the anticipation, recognition, evaluation, prevention, and control of those environmental factors or stresses arising in or from the workplace which may cause sickness, impaired health and well being, or significant discomfort among workers or among citizens of the community.
More than half of our nearly 8,500 members of the Association are certified industrial hygienists (CIHs), and many hold other professional designations.
Consider that in the United States:
- Every day, approximately 275 people die from occupational injuries and illnesses in the United States alone.
- Approximately 95,000 workers died in 2017 from occupational diseases.
- About 3.5 million workers suffered occupational injuries or illnesses in 2017 alone. These were just the reported injuries and illnesses – the actual total numbers may be even higher.
- 5,250: The number of recorded workplace fatalities from injuries in the U.S. in 2018. This was a 2% increase from 2017.
And consider that globally:
- Each year, approximately 2.7 million worker die from occupational injuries and illnesses.
- One worker dies from occupational causes every 11 seconds.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. National Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries, 2018
- AFL-CIO. Death on the Job, The Toll of Neglect: A National and State-by-State Profile of Worker Safety and Health in the United States (2019)
- ILO, 2013; WHO, 2013 and 2016; Armed Conflict, 2016 + Homicide, 2012 (WHO) + Terrorism, 2016 (Statista)
AIHA serves as...
- a resource for those employed in or who are pursuing health and safety careers within the industrial, consulting, academic, and government sectors
- a comprehensive repository of education programs and other products and services that help our members maintain the highest professional standards
- a knowledge base of best practices, information, and research for public use and reference
Empowering those who apply scientific knowledge to protect all workers from occupational hazards.
A world where all workers are healthy and safe.
Our pledge is to provide you with quality experiences and the tools and resources you need to protect worker health. If any AIHA® product, service or program does not meet your expectations, we want to know about it and make the situation right. Customer service is our number one goal and we won’t be happy until you are.
Advertise with Us
AIHA can offer your business unparalleled access to thousands of IH/OH professionals through marketing and sponsorship opportunities year-round in those tools and resources
AIHA's Strategic Plan
An outline of the 5 critical domains of focus for AIHA through 2021.