Aspects of Risk Assessment: A Workshop
On Aug. 25, AIHA will host a free workshop, “The Many Aspects of Occupational Risk Assessment: Understanding Differing Approaches and Goals.” This session is part of a series that will bring together experts to discuss the various approaches to exposure and risk assessment used in different areas of practice, including chemical regulation, health and safety compliance, research, and product stewardship.
According to Andy Maier, PhD, CIH, DABT, FAIHA, the moderator for the Aug. 25 workshop, the goal is for attendees to leverage insights from practitioners of exposure and risk assessment in other areas. Maier, an AIHA member, is the principal science advisor at ChemRisk and the director of the nonprofit Occupational Alliance for Risk Science initiative.
“While AIHA already supports the development of occupational risk assessment methods through its chartered Risk Committee, other workshops, technical publications, and professional development courses," says Maier, "this new series will help advance occupational risk assessment methods development and practice for AIHA members and OEHS professionals."
The Aug. 25 workshop will highlight the key differences in terminology, objectives, and methods among occupational risk assessments conducted for varying purposes. Presentations and discussions will focus on collecting, assessing, and sharing OEHS data and analyses.
The lineup of speakers includes:
- Fred Boelter, CIH, PE, BCEE, FAIHA, of Boelter Risk Sciences and Engineering LLC
- Majd El-Zoobi, PE, chemical engineer with EPA’s Office of Chemical Safety and Pollution Prevention, Existing Chemicals Risk Assessment Division
- William Perry, CIH, retired, former director of OSHA’s Directorate of Standards and Guidance
- Christine Whittaker, PhD, director of NIOSH’s Division of Science Integration
These speakers will be joined by a discussion panel that includes:
- Brenda Finter, CIH, CSP, CHMM, industrial hygienist for the U.S. Department of Labor, Office of Chemical Hazards - Metals, Directorate of Standards and Guidance, OSHA
- John Henshaw, MPH, CIH, president of John Henshaw and Associates Inc.
- MaryAnn Hoff, CIH, global director for advocacy, EHS, and product stewardship at PPG
- Steve Jahn, CIH, MBA, FAIHA, president of Jahn Industrial Hygiene LLC
- Silvia Maberti, PhD, exposure scientist at ExxonMobil Biomedical Sciences Inc.
- Paul Price, retired exposure and risk assessor from EPA’s Office of Research and Development
- Rebecca Reindel, MS, MPH, safety and health director at AFL-CIO
Attendees are invited to submit questions before and during the event. OEHS professionals interested in exposure and risk assessment are encouraged to subscribe to receive notifications about future workshops in this series. For more information or to register for the Aug. 25 workshop, visit the AIHA website.
More on Risk from The Synergist: