In our efforts to be representative of our membership population, we seek to build diverse and inclusive volunteer groups. We believe when people bring their unique identities, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences to our work, we can better achieve our goal of protecting worker health. As a result, the AIHA Board unanimously approved the formation of a new PR(IH)DE Special Interest Group (SIG) at its July 2022 meeting.
Purpose and Objectives
To foster a visible and inclusive environment that promotes the health, safety, and well-being of its members, allowing for open and supportive dialogue and opportunities for collaboration.
- Provide mentorship and support for LGBTQ+ professionals at all stages of their education and career.
- Advocate for the advancement of research related to the health, safety, and well-being of LGBTQ+ individuals in the workplace, with an emphasis on improving and safeguarding their psychological health and safety.
- Engage with other established AIHA committees and working groups to develop strategic partnerships to further key initiatives and objectives.
- Establish outreach to other allied organizations whose thought leadership might benefit this group.
Diversity and Inclusion
AIHA fosters diversity and inclusion of all people within our membership and adheres to a diversity policy built around respect for individuals regardless of where they are on life's journey. AIHA prohibits discrimination based on age, citizenship, color, cultural background, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity/expression, race, religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, or veteran status. Furthermore, AIHA prohibits all harassment and threatening behavior that detracts from the learning experience which is central to AIHA’s mission.
Please familiarize yourself with the AIHA Diversity and Inclusion Policy.
There is no limit on the size of this SIG. A chair, vice chair, and secretary will be selected to serve as the leadership of the group, with officer rotations to commence at the close of AIHce. At that time, the chair will serve as the past chair, vice chair to chair, secretary to vice chair, etc. The secretary position is an elected position and will be implemented during the second year of this working group. While not required, the selection of a secretary-elect will ensure a smooth transition.
Participation is limited to AIHA members in good standing. We envision input from other volunteer groups whose interests align with the areas of concern noted above, as well as allied associations.
- Accountable to the AIHA Board of Directors
- Agree to uphold and abide by the AIHA Bylaws, Conflict of Interest, Code of Conduct, and Volunteer Group policies, all of which can be found via the Volunteer Group Handbook.
General Time Commitment
- Monthly conference calls (1 hour in length)
- One in-person meeting (AIHce)
- Email correspondence as needed
If you are interested in joining the AIHA PR(IH)DE Special Interest Group, please click here and complete the submission form.
If you have questions, please contact Laurie M. Mutdosch, CAE, AIHA's Director of Membership & Professional Communities.
- AIHA Enterprise Strategic Plan (2022-2024) & the Role of Volunteer Groups
- NEW! AIHA Volunteer Groups Handbook
- AIHA Volunteer Groups Policy (Revised June 2021)
- Catalyst Online Community
- Code of Conduct