What are Stewardship and Sustainability?
is typically defined in the context of products. It is defined by the Product Stewardship Society (an AIHA affiliate) as “responsibly managing the health, safety, and environmental aspects of raw materials, intermediate, and consumer products throughout their life cycle and across the value chain in order to prevent or minimize negative impacts and maximize value.” The Product Stewardship Society recently published a paper
defining the core competencies of a Product Steward.
Sustainability in the broadest sense means the ability to endure. In 1987, the World Commission on Environment and Development (Brundtland Commission) published a report that introduced the term sustainable development, defined as "development which meets the needs of current generations without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs." Translated for the industrial hygiene profession, sustainability is about minimizing the impact of operations on human health and the environment in order to help protect the workforce, the public, and the planet.
The Stewardship and Sustainability Committee, established in 1984 as the Product Safety Committee, provides a bridge between AIHA members, and businesses; workers; government; and the community, to meet the health, safety, and environmental needs of present generations without compromising the needs of future generations. Through education, and the development of training, communication, and resource tools, the committee enables the AIHA membership to utilize sustainability and stewardship models to balance the financial, social, and environmental objectives of the organization.
Goals and Objectives
Goal: Assemble, evaluate, and disseminate to occupational and environmental professionals information relevant to product stewardship and sustainability.
Objective –Provide education and training on product stewardship and sustainability.
- Develop meaningful presentations, PDCs and/or sessions related to stewardship and sustainability for AIHCe and Product Stewardship conferences.
- Develop educational information relating to sustainability through other means such as articles for the Synergist, informational brochures and/or Webinars.
- Collaborate with and support the Product Stewardship Society by providing support for their annual conference.
Objective – Provide resources that enable and promote advancement of responsible product stewardship and sustainability.
- Develop resources for the AIHA members and others to allow them to be more effective in their product stewardship and sustainability efforts within their organizations and communities.
Sponsored Project Teams and Activities
- EASC/S&S - Product Exposure Assessment - Ann Lori (leader)
- Product Stewardship 2016 Planning Committee - Jessica Mann, Melissa Joerger, Jon Hellerstein
- OSH Performance Metrics Review Project - Jessica Mann
- Webinar Development - Mike Finnamore
- Mission Update - Paul Harper
- Website Update - Marc Plisko, Alex Lehocky
- Synergist Article - Jessica Mann
- Brochure for AIHCE 2016 - Need volunteer
- Round Tables/Cross Over Sessions for AIHCe
- Podium Session Arranger - Evelyn Majoris, Braxton Lewis
- PDC (s) for AIHCe
- Submissions for Product Stewardship
The Stewardship and Sustainability Committee has received AIHA’s Volunteer Group Awards for a number of years. Recent awards are shown below.