The Future Leaders Institute (FLI) provides critical leadership training and professional development opportunities for industrial hygiene and occupational health professionals within the first 15 years of their career, particularly in countries or organizations where such opportunities do not readily exist.
The Stephen C. Davis Future Leaders Institute Memorial Grant was established in 2015 to carry on his vision of preparing the next generation of IH/OH leaders.
The Memorial Grant provides up to $1,000.00 USD in travel assistance to a maximum of four participants per cohort attending FLI. To be eligible, attendees must live or work outside of the United States.
Applicants requesting consideration for the grant must submit an additional application form to the Future Leaders Institute Application Review Committee and meet all of the following criteria:
- Be accepted into the Future Leaders Institute program;
- Possess a graduate degree or certificate of competency in IH/OH by the appropriate body within the applicant’s country;
- Have a minimum of 5 years IH/OH experience and present active global practice;
- Provide two examples of leadership and mentorship activity which demonstrate personal growth and stewardship for the next generation (e.g., committee participation, local section leadership, teaching/mentoring, community efforts, general leadership in the profession);
- Submit two letters of professional reference; and
- Be willing to participate in an interview by The Synergist following their attendance at the Future Leaders Institute.
The Future Leaders Institute Application Review Committee performs the initial screening of potential candidates. The Grant Review Committee makes the final selection of the grant recipients. The Grant Committee for the 2018 Future Leadership Institute were:
- Chris Laszcz-Davis, CIH, FAIHA, AIC Fellow, President, The Environmental Quality Organization, LLC
- Dave Kahane, CIH, FAIHA, Founder and Serial Entrepreneur of theForensic Analytical Family of Companies
- Ben Heckman, CIH, Principal, RHP Risk Management
- Robert Bacci, CIH, CSP, Vice President EH&S and Facilities, Nektar Therapeutics
- Larry Sloan, CAE, Chief Executive Officer, American Industrial Hygiene Association
The 2020 Grant Committee will be announced in early 2020.
The Stephen C. Davis Future Leaders Institute Memorial Grant was established to groom global leaders not otherwise in a position to participate in leadership development. As such, the grant helps defray travel expenses for those accepted. It is not meant to cover all expenses involved with attending the program.
At their sole discretion, the Grant Review Committee will determine the number of grant recipients; however, the number of grants awarded for any given Future Leaders cohort is limited to four.
- Each grant recipient will receive travel support up to $1,000.00 USD.
- Flights must be booked through the AIHA’s official travel partner 45 days before the start of the FLI Program.
- Other travel-related expenses, such as visa application, preferred seat selection/upgrade, parking, baggage fees, ground transportation (taxis and/or rental car), and other incidentals will not be reimbursed.
Memorial Grant and the FLI
In the event that AIHA dissolves, the Future Leadership Institute, the Grant Committee, and the Executive Director of AIHA or their respective designees will determine the future of the Memorial Grant disbursements. The use of this Memorial Grant will remain exclusively “to steward the next generation.”
We would like to acknowledge and thank the generous private and corporate donors who fund this important grant.
Questions? Please contact Thursa Pecoraro.