The application portal to submit all AIHF application materials for the
2021 Academic Year has closed.
All full or part time students who will be enrolled in one of the following programs at the start of the Fall 2021 semester are eligible to apply:
- A graduate or undergraduate degree program that is fully ABET-accredited under the Industrial Hygiene and Similarly Named Programs, or under Environmental, Health, and Safety and Similarly Named Programs, or under the Occupational Safety and Health and Similarly Named Programs Criteria.
- A graduate public health degree program fully accredited by CEPH, with a program concentration in Environment Health with a focus in Industrial Hygiene or Occupational Health.
- An Industrial Hygiene or similar named program offered at a NIOSH-ERC or a NIOSH Training Project Grant in Industrial Hygiene.
- An industrial hygiene or similarly named program at one of the following Canadian institutions: McGill University, University of British Columbia, Universite de Montreal, Universite du Quebec a Trois-Rivieres, or University of Toronto.
- The M.S. in Occupational and Environmental Hygiene program at New York University (NYU). Only NYU students are eligible for the Dr. Morton Lippmann Scholarship.
Students who are not enrolled in any of the listed programs above are still eligible to apply. In order to qualify, a school administrator must complete a separate application justifying why their program/students should be considered for an AIHF scholarship. The deadline to submit a school application form is January 10, 2021.
Supplemental Scholarship Application Materials
When completing the AIHF electronic application, students will also be asked to upload the following supplemental materials*:
- Academic transcripts from all undergraduate programs, and if applicable transcripts from graduate and doctoral programs. If transcripts are not available, applicants may submit an unofficial transcript/grade report signed by the Department Chair.
- Personal/Professional Statement. We ask that that following four points are addressed in your statement
- Why do you want to be in the profession?
- Why are you seeking a degree in industrial hygiene?
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- Why should you receive an AIHF scholarship?
Optional: If you’re interested in being eligible for the President’s Leadership Award, please address the following in your professional/personal statement: Highlight how you demonstrate scientific, literary, and research acumen in industrial hygiene, environmental and occupational health discipline
- Current resume or CV
- A digital, high resolution (minimum 300 dpi) professional photo. If selected for an AIHF scholarship, it will be used at the discretion of AIHF/AIHA in the publication, marketing, and solicitation of donations and materials.
- TWO professional letters of recommendations are required. One must come from a professor from your academic program. The other can come from a CIH or IH professional (this criteria can be met by your professor). Note, that if these two categories can be met by the same individual, a second professional reference is still needed. You will not be asked to upload your two letters of recommendation on the electronic application portal. Letters should be emailed directly by your reference to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reference letters must be no longer than two pages in length and must be on letterhead. Letters should be emailed directly by your reference to email@example.com. Be sure to emphasize to your reference(s) how important their reference letter is to the decision-making process. Please share the following reference template letter to your references.
- For how long have you known the applicant and what sets them apart from their peers?
- What are the applicant’s strongest characteristics or strengths?
- How would you assess the applicant’s thinking skills and/or problem-solving abilities?
- If applicable, how would you assess the applicant’s critical industrial hygiene skills?
- Please provide any additional insight you believe will assist the scholarship committee in its decision regarding the applicant (interpersonal skills, demonstrated leadership skills, academic performance work ethic, etc.)
The deadline to submit all AIHF application materials is February 1, 2021. All materials must be completed and answered in full. Students who submit a completed scholarship application will be considered for all scholarships for which they are eligible.
Review and Selection Process
Scholarships are awarded based on the availability of funds provided through contributions from AIHA members, individuals, corporations, and local sections. The AIHF Scholarship Selection Committee will begin its independent review process in March 2021. All applicants will be notified by early April of the committee’s decision. All scholarship funds will be distributed in the fall of 2021 and all recipients will be recognized publicly at the AIHce EXP 2021, May 24 - 26 in Dallas, Texas.
Please contact Thursa Pecoraro.