Scope of Work
The Committee develops and disseminates construction-related health and safety information to the industrial hygiene and safety communities and to the general public. The Committee provides input into regulatory and consensus standard-setting organizations that focus on worker and environmental health and safety in construction to further advance the mission of the AIHA.
Goals and Objectives
- Provide the science-based input of professional industrial hygienists to those who regulate and advise on standard setting in the construction area.
- Maintain an active membership encompassing a broad range of industries, education, certifications, and experience reflective of health and safety practice in construction.
- Encourage and assist emerging, new, and existing health and safety professionals in developing skills, expertise and interest in construction related issues as well as encouraging general public support for construction health and safety.
- Promoting and disseminated Focus Four for Health.
- Developing case studies on successful approaches to improving construction worker health, for publication on workerhealthsafety.org.
- Producing a chapter on construction for the AIHA White Book.
Products Produced by the Group
- Focus Four for Health: An Initiative to Address Four Major Construction Health Hazards Guidance Documents.
- Focus on Construction Health: COVID-19.
- Major revisions to Back to Work Safety: Construction.
- Assessment and Remediation of Corrosive Drywall Guidance Document.
- How to Improve the Safety Climate on Your Construction Site Guidance Document.
- OHS Performance Criteria on Contracting and Procurement Guidance Document.
- Recommended Skills and Capabilities for Silica Competent Persons White Paper.
Current collaborations include:
- Society for Occupational Health Working Group.
- Confined Space Committee.
- At our urging, AIHA is an advocate for Construction Safety Week.
- AIHA Outstanding Volunteer Group 2021
Rochelle Crew Award
The Rochelle Crew Award is given by the AIHA Construction Committee to honor the memory of Rochelle Crew, a long-time construction safety PDC presenter and former member of the committee. The award is given to the best construction-related paper, technical session, or PDC presentation at the previous year’s AIHce. This year’s recipient is Anthony Oliveri, CIH for Lessons Learned from Fatality Assessment and Control Evaluations (FACE) Investigations in Michigan.
- 2021: Bill Greer
- 2020: Caroline Switzer, CIH, CSP
We welcome all interested in health on construction sites, regardless of level of experience or direct involvement in construction. Our members include representatives of large construction and engineering firms, labor, trade groups, insurers, nationwide and local consulting firms, government agencies, vendors, owners...
We offer opportunities for involvement for all skill levels and time availability, whether it is judging student posters, helping develop guidance documents, or serving as a committee officer.
We hold monthly meetings, on the first Thursday of each month, and welcome people to join those. If you want to find out more about the committee or just want to sit in on one of the monthly meetings, contact Janet Keyes - [email protected]