The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) and the American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA) are proud to present Safety Matters, a program to raise awareness among young people about workplace safety and health and to provide an understanding of the skills they need to become active participants in creating safe and healthy work environments. The materials presented in this module are based on a full curriculum from NIOSH, Talking Safety.
is a one-hour interactive teaching module and PowerPoint presentation targeted to students in grades 7 through 12. It can be used by safety professionals to equip young people with the skills and knowledge they need to participate in safe and healthy work environments throughout their working lives. Safety Matters
presents essential information and career-readiness skills through a focus on 8 Core Competencies
, which are transferable, foundational workplace safety and health knowledge, skills and abilities.
Did You Know?
- Approximately 1.6 million U.S. teens (aged 15–17) work.
- Every nine minutes, a U.S. teen is injured on the job.
- On average, each year:
- 59,800 workers under the age of 18 are sent to the ER for job-related injuries
- 37 workers under the age of 18 die on the job.
- Young workers are twice as likely to be injured compared to adult workers.